Support Services for Rough Sleepers
Harbour Place is committed to preventing homelessness and reducing, and eventually eradicating rough sleeping in our community.
At Harbour Place we believe that everyone deserves a chance to change their life for the better - and the Team work hard to provide a safe and supportive environment to facilitate this.
Working across North East Lincolnshire we help vulnerable and isolated people to get support with their housing, mental health and well-being.
We provide service users with the practical assistance, advice and encouragement to make changes and live independent and healthy lives.
Money, Health and Wellbeing
"Drop in" service available daily between 10 AM and 12 noon Monday to Friday, enabling rough sleepers to access support with:
Housing * Health * Benefits
Assistance with contacting key agencies:
(DWP, GP's, Probation, Housing Providers, Drug and Alcohol services)
Access to telephone to make appointments. Access to computers to do job searches, make and update benefits claims.
Support with making/keeping appointments.
- Personal support when attending appointments:
GP's * Hospitals *DWP
- Referral to drug and alcohol harm reduction services.
- Provide accu-detox sessions to reduce drug and alcohol cravings along with improving health and well being.
- Support with money management and budgeting.
- Breakfasts, hot drinks etc are provided Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
- Access to showers and clean clothing.
Showers * Change of clothes * Toiletries
Rough Sleeper Outreach Services
Harbour Place provides a team of outreach support workers - operating across North East Lincolnshire.
- Daily patrols across North East Lincolnshire to offer support to rough sleepers.
- Respond to reports of 'rough sleepers' from:
The General Public * NELC * Street Link
- Monitor known squats across the area.
- Engage with rough sleepers and supporting them to access services and engage with the Night Shelter.
- Promote and signpost to local agencies.
- Assist rough sleepers to arrange and attend appointments, e.g.
GPs * Hospital * Harm Reduction Services
- When available, provide bedding, clean clothing, personal hygiene packs, rucksacks, and sleeping bags to rough sleepers.
- Referrals to hostels, social and private landlords.
- Assist rough sleepers to register with Home Choice Lincs and Gateway.
- Attend appointments/interviews at key agencies to support rough sleepers, including:
Homelessness Prevention Service (NELC) * DWP * Housing Providers
- Combat social isolation and encourage to engage with the service for support to build relationships and achieve independence.
- Advocacy on behalf of service users at:
Court hearings * Benefits tribunals * Medical Assessments
- Liaise closely with the Homelessness Prevention Service (NELC) on all issues relating to rough sleepers.
- Provide 'floating support' services to promote the resettlement of service users who have moved into accommodation.
Not only... but also
In addition to the provision of essential, practical support and advice, Harbour Place is also committed to playing a role in the sector and the community, for example:
- Harbour Place provides a structured volunteer programme.
- Harbour Place provides placements for Social Work students from universities in Hull and Lincoln and work experience for students attending local colleges.
- Staff give presentations and talks to local community, church and college groups about Harbour Place's activities.