Support Services for Rough Sleepers
Money, Health and Wellbeing
"Drop in" service available daily, enabling rough sleepers to access support with:
Housing * Health * Benefits
Assistance with contacting key agencies:
(DWP, GP's, Probation, Housing Providers, Drug and Alcohol services)
Free use of telephone to make appointments. Free use of computers to do job searches, make and update benefits claims.
Support with making/keeping appointments.
- Personal support when attending appointments:
GP's * Hospitals *DWP
- Referral to drug and alcohol harm reduction services.
- Provide accu-detox sessions to reduce drug and alcohol cravings along with improving health and well being.
- Support with money management and budgeting.
- Breakfasts, hot drinks etc are provided each weekday.
- Provide and distribution of food parcels for rough sleepers.
- Provide showers and clean clothing.
Showers * Change of clothes * Hair care
Rough Sleeper Outreach Services
Harbour Place provides a team of outreach workers - operating across North East Lincolnshire.
- Daily patrols across North East Lincolnshire to offer support to rough sleepers.
- Respond to reports of 'rough sleepers' from:
The General Public * Home Options Team * Street Link
- Monitor known squats across the area.
- Engage with rough sleepers and supporting them to access services and engage with the night shelter.
- Promote and signpost to local agencies.
- Assist rough sleepers to arrange and attend appointments, e.g.
GPs * Hospital * Harm Reduction Services
- Provide bedding, clean clothing, personal hygiene packs, rucksacks, sleeping bags and food parcels to rough sleepers.
- Referrals to hostels, social and private landlords.
- Assist rough sleepers to register with Home Choice Lincs and Gateway.
- Attend appointments/interviews at key agencies to support rough sleepers, including:
Home Options Team * DWP * Housing Providers
- Combat social isolation and encourage and support service users to build relationships and achieve independence.
- Advocacy on behalf of service users at:
Court hearings * Benefits tribunals * Medical Assessments
- Liaise closely with the Home Options Team on all issues relating to rough sleepers.
- Provide 'floating support' services to promote the resettlement of service users who have moved into accommodation.
Not only... but also
In addition to the provision of essential, practical support and advice, Harbour Place is also committed to playing a role in the sector and the community, for example:
- Harbour Place provides a structured volunteer programme.
- Harbour Place provides placements for Social Work students from universities in Hull and Lincoln and work experience for students attending local colleges.
- Staff give presentations and talks to local community, church and college groups about Harbour Place's activities.